Bookie | The BookChick 's Reviews > Sun God Seeks…Surrogate?

Sun God Seeks…Surrogate? by Mimi Jean Pamfiloff

6190526
My Rating: ❤❤❤
GOOD: The characteristics of a 3 star book include: interesting characters, a decent storyline, and unique story elements; there was something about the story that I didn’t completely connect with; the book is a solid read. I would recommend it to a friend.
Initial Reaction: A cliffhanger and no HEA?!?! That's...unpleasant.

Rating's Breakdown:
Quality of writing: Good

Pace: Brisk

Characters: Penelope was a bit irritating and Nick was arrogant. I didn't connect with either of them as individuals but also felt that their attraction did not feel as natural as it did with prior book characters.

Plot development: Good but felt chaotic at times.

Story line: Good. Solid. Interesting.

Enjoyability: A good story if you don't require an immediate HEA and don't mind cliffhangers.

Heat Level: Medium
My Thoughts:
It was an okay read but my review disclaimer is that books that end with cliffhangers receive an auto star reduction because they contain an incomplete story. I don't require a HEA and will settle for a HFN. But cliffhangers??? They just suck the interest right out of a story (series) for me.

This story was chock full of characters with diverse personality traits. Good in one respect because it kept the story interesting but bad in that it got overwhelming at times with all the people popping in throughout the story. I understand that they were essential to the plot but the story took on a chaotic dimension because of it. The subplots were complex but frustrating, especially as I reached the end of the story and spied no resolution because of the dreaded cliffhanger. And although the story was funny at times, there were many times when the humor felt contrived ("Grack" was one such instance and Cimil's almost excessive hijinks was another). The all-too-prevalent sarcastic quips, retorts, and banal humor ceased having entertainment value after a while.

All in all Sun God Seeks…Surrogate? wasn't a bad story...I just gained more enjoyment from Accidentally in Love with...A God? and Accidentally Married to...A Vampire? I'm crossing my fingers that the next book will feel a bit more fluid and answer some of the unanswered questions that remained in this one.

P.S. This is not a stand alone book. You will be completely lost if you do not read the first two books in the series.

Visit The BookChick Blog  photo 480761_117447861780253_1600570465_n_zps49e00d53.jpg
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun God Seeks…Surrogate?.

03/24/2013
03/24/2013
35.0% "That Cimil is crazy as a loon." 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elly (new)

Elly Helcl Sigh...I think I may be a die hard Mimi fan...I read your review and just immediately wanted to disagree :)

But...alas, you are right about this one :)

Bookie | The BookChick LOL. I love her stuff so I was a tad disappointed that I didn't love this one :(.