Mallory Heart Reviews's Reviews > Reveal

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: august-2012-reads
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: Lovers of Paranormal
Read on August 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This copy was provided to me via the Goodreads Group Lovers of Paranormal on August 10, 2012, from Smashwords, in return for my provision of a fair, honest, and authentic review.

Review of Reveal by Brina Courtney
A Cryptid Novel/Cryptid Tales #1
Reviewed for Lovers of Paranormal GR Group

I really enjoyed this fast-paced and engaging novel, with empathetic characters and a good reader’s hook. Shay is eighteen, finishing her senior year, and a ghost-talker. That is, since her father inexplicably disappears one day when Shay is six and her brother Chad is a toddler, she has seen, been visited by, and had dialogue with ghosts-the first is Jeremy, a boy left in an orphanage at age three, and dead at six in the orphanage fire which took so many lives in 1942. The book starts out with a bang, and just keeps getting better. Shay is a likable protagonist, and not “quite-the-usual-YA”-she has only one good friend, she avoids high school drunk-outs, and she’s close to her mother and younger brother. Of course, she also has a dad missing for 12 years, and she experiences ghost encounters on a regular basis. Not to mention, she’s crushing on a University student who fills out the category of Tall, Dark, and Handsome-and is also a ghostly encounterer himself!

I think any readers of YA Paranormal are going to love this book, and believe this one, I am sure hoping it’s a series! “Reveal” is very well-written, intriguing, and I had no trouble turning the pages as quickly as I could read-my interest never once flagged. Thank you, Brina Courtney.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reveal.