Becky's Reviews > The False Prince

The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

F 50x66
Aug 21, 2012

Ages 10-up. Sage and two other orphans are snapped up by Bevin Conner, a regent for the King of Carthya. A closely held secret, the fact that the king, queen, and crown prince have been murdered, has prompted his search for Prince Jaron, who is presumed dead after pirates attacked the ship he rode to boarding school four years ago. Conner's plan: To pass off one of the orphans as the long-lost prince, and use him as his puppet. In two weeks he expects to whip one of the three into good enough shape to fool the other regents. Sage is sneaky, defiant, and totally wrong for the job, but he is certain that if he isn't chosen he'll be killed. Still, he refuses to bend to Conner's will, despite the beatings and threats he endures because of it. A surprise twist ending (I had my suspicions but it was veiled enough to keep me guessing) makes me want to re-read the book for clues I overlooked. The conclusion is complete and satisfactory, yet leaves room for a sequel (it is actually Book One of the Ascendance Trilogy). Rarely does a book so captivate me that I sit up long past my bedtime to read it. You can bet I'll be looking for Book 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Prince.