Zuleeza's Reviews > The Mad Scientist’s Daughter

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Dec 18, 12

Read from December 18 to 19, 2012

Hew. Hew. I'm kind of nervous to rate and review this book because I think the whole world knows about my undying love for Naji The Assassin's Curse.

Before I start with my review, I need to clarify something - I haven't read anything but YA and High Fantasy for years, so this type of book isn't something I usually pick up. But I don't want to be one of those reviewers who likes to read book which I know, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Alright, I did that once. With Fade. But not anymore. See? I haven't rated any books 1-star for months! I feel like a saint now. Heee.

Anyway, my point is, I know I need to read this because it's by Cassandra freaking Rose freaking Clarke. And what a better way to start branching out other than reading something from your favourite author?

See that blurb? It's completely misleading. I don't get why a blurb could sound so dry and blegh while its purpose is to attract readers. The cover - when I did the cover reveal, I didn't understand the purpose of that enormous moon but now I know it's totally relevant.

This book was set in a huge time frame. It follows Cat when she was just 5 years old until she reaches about 30+ years old, I think. In just 400 pages, that's a hell lot of compaction. But Clarke managed it flawlessly and I think that's the major quality which I adore the most in her writing. She knows what kind of details to be emphasized and what to leave out and never once, the pacing stalls. TMSC is not a page turner, yet I always feel compelled to pick it up right back from where I left it off.

For me, the highest point being when it was narrated from the kid and teen Cat POV. Probably due to my familiarity with YA books. Halfway through, I felt really annoyed with Cat. She was selfish, cold and manipulative but she didn't realize that. Only until almost the end, I realized that Cat wasn't written in hope that she would be a likable character, she was written in hope that she would be a normal character. And I think that is a important distinction.

Finn, the android - of course I'm a fan. I couldn't say much about him because I don't want to spoil the book for you but I think Clarke did it again - creating a unique character.

In my opinion, this book is heavy on the romance side. The science fiction element is there but very subtle but not as much until it becomes superficial. Instead, it gives the story this otherworldly quality. I wouldn't be surprise if someone would actually cry while reading this book because it surely has the potential to become the next tear-jerking read you're looking for. As for me, I didn't cry because I'm heartless got distracted...

...with the sexy-times.

Before you think I'm a little pervert, I'd like to explain that I have a hard time adjusting. Sex in emotional reads is a new concept for me (yeah, yeah - surprise, surprise). Like, fries dipped with ice cream, it's foreign. Nothing too graphic, really - scratch that, the make outs aren't meant to be hot or steamy, but they still implied, well, sex.

SO, YEAH. THIS IS NOT YA, PEEPS!

But nevertheless, I still think this a wonderful read. I'm glad I tried it. It's powerful and emotive. I kept having this sound of tiny violin in the background throughout my sittings (not in a comedic way, but in a sad way).

**An ARC was provided by Angry Robot in exchange for an honest review.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mad Scientist’s Daughter.

message 1: by Nimra (new) - added it

Nimra khalid how on earth..! and where on earth did you get your hands on this book..! :(

Zuleeza Oh, I got it off Netgalley. I'm not sure if it's still there but you may want to check it out. I thoroughly enjoy this so far. :)

message 3: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren I'm really interested to hear what you think of this one!

message 4: by Zuleeza (last edited Dec 18, 2012 06:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zuleeza Lauren wrote: "I'm really interested to hear what you think of this one!"

Ugh, I'm still not sure yet. I haven't read anything but YA or high fantasy for a long time. :/

message 5: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Yes. From what I've read, this is NOT YA.

Zuleeza Lauren wrote: "Yes. From what I've read, this is NOT YA."

Yup, I'm 40% in and I can definitely confirm that this is not YA LOL!

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} Zuleeza wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Yes. From what I've read, this is NOT YA."

Yup, I'm 40% in and I can definitely confirm that this is not YA LOL!"

Haha, yeah, it's definitely not YA. But how are you liking it? I didn't like it as much as TAC.

Zuleeza The Demonic Lynx ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "Zuleeza wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Yes. From what I've read, this is NOT YA."

Yup, I'm 40% in and I can definitely confirm that this is not YA LOL!"

Haha, yeah, it's definitely not YA. But how are yo..."

15% left to goooooo!! Did you ever finish reading it?

message 9: by yyyasmin (new)

yyyasmin "He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task is to tutor Cat....."

sounds kinky in this context..this looks like it could be up my alley, thanks for the review ;)

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} I never finished it :(

Zuleeza yyyasmin wrote: ""He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task is to tutor Cat....."

sounds kinky in this context..this looks like it..."

Hmm..kinky is indeed the right choice of word. But the writing made it less...disturbing, I guess.

Zuleeza The Demonic Lynx ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "I never finished it :("

Not sure if you should ever finish it. It's very melodramatic.