Pete daPixie's Reviews > Me & Lee: How I Came to Know, Love and Lose Lee Harvey Oswald

Me & Lee by Judyth Vary Baker

May 10, 14

bookshelves: conspiracy-schmiracy, history-u-s, autobiogs
Read from September 01 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy

I've been dreading reading this book. My first exposure to this incredible tale was through You Tube and the nine part series of 'The Men Who Killed Kennedy.' Episode eight, 'The Love Affair' is the story of Lee Oswald and the author of this book Judyth Vary Baker. I also chased this through the podcasts on Jim Fetzer's 'Real Deal'.
'Me and Lee-How I came to love and lose Lee Harvey Oswald' (2010) is totally unlike anything previously written in the JFK conspiracy genre.
There is no defector in Russia, no counting shots in Dealey Plaza, no medical investigation at Parkland or Bethesda, no murder investigations for Tippit and Ruby. Instead we have a mind bewildering autobiography told with a memory full of intricate detail that culminates in New Orleans through the summer of 1963. Part Mills and Boon love story and part covert intelligence op. These Nawlins revelations skipped under the radar of Jim Garrison's investigations in 1967, and have largely remained hidden from the public at large.
Ed Haslam who writes the Foreword, published 'Dr Mary's Monkey' in 2007, an investigation into the death of Dr Mary Sherman in 1964, which is part of Vary Baker's story.
I agree with Jim Marrs' Afterword when he writes, "But can we ever really know the truth? I say yes, by studying the wide array of information now available, thinking for ourselves, and listening to the impassioned, unflinching voice of Judy Vary Baker".

Addendum:-I have investigated around this fantastic tale since reading the book, I have also briefly met the author and have some contact on internet sites.
Just like Ron Lewis' 'Flashback', these 'I was there' tomes lack corroborative detail. I must disagree with Jim Marrs' Afterword. Can we ever really know the truth? I say no. However, if the reader thinks for his or her self, there remains too many fantastic details woven into the time spent by Oswald in New Orleans. In short, I don't accept the 'cancer bioweapon' tale and I don't believe the impassioned, unflinching voice of Judyth Vary Baker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me & Lee.

09/02/2012 page 103
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Harkins So, Pete, how do you plan to use all of this reading and research on JFK?

Pete daPixie Linda wrote: "So, Pete, how do you plan to use all of this reading and research on JFK?"Good question Linda! Originally I smelled a rat with the 'lone nut' scenario being repeated,i.e. JFK,RFK, MLK,JWL & JFK Jr mysteries...and being a hippy peacenik I liked all those above names etc. But the JFK case is so multi faceted and fascinating (this book is a perfect example) that one book leads to another few and HELP...I can't get out!
I am keeping an eye out for good books on the latter three names of that above list...until then I'll stay in Dealey Plaza.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda Harkins Indeed, it is complex and multifaceted.

message 4: by Pete (last edited Sep 09, 2012 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pete daPixie Linda wrote: "Indeed, it is complex and multifaceted."but having said that, researchers over the last 40yrs have cracked the case and most of the secrets have been solved, it's just the 'secret government' in the U.S. still refuses to come clean.

George Presley As individuals we may come close to knowing the truth, but our government will never validate these findings. We will know the motives and the individuals responsible for the plot to kill the president, but we still do not know who the men were that pulled the trigger(s) at the grassy knoll. If I am still alive in 2040 or so, I will be prepared for another disappointment.

Pete daPixie George wrote: "As individuals we may come close to knowing the truth, but our government will never validate these findings. We will know the motives and the individuals responsible for the plot to kill the presi..."George, agreed. I can't see my life span reaching 2040! As for Dealey Plaza, it's like X stated in Stone's 'JFK', "it's all a parlour game to keep the public guessing." Grassy Knoll, TSBD, Dal Tex, Records Bldg.,etc. I edit the site www.oswald-innocent.com so I know it wasn't him.

Nate Pete, if the book is wrong please demonstrate how it's wrong, if she's actually a witness then it doesn't matter how "impassioned"or unflinching the authors style. Address the facts please. You sound like you have ulterior motives for attacking the book. I for one believe that mrs baker has great courage in writing and publishing this book, she has very little to gain and much to lose. Unlike you who can criticize all you want with no facts and no sacrifice.

Pete daPixie Nate wrote: "Pete, if the book is wrong please demonstrate how it's wrong, if she's actually a witness then it doesn't matter how "impassioned"or unflinching the authors style. Address the facts please. You sou..."Nate, As stated in my addendum, I don't believe in the bioweapon. For me it's as far fetched as shit from China AND it is J.V.B. who presents this tale with no facts and no sacrifice. She has little to gain? It's called money! What has she to lose?
The cancer in the thermos flask, delivered to a convict patient at Clinton etc. No mention of J.V.B. in Garrison's investigation. Also very nice from a devout Catholic girl.
I also don't believe all the players that she meets after 10 minutes in New Orleans...L.H.O., Ferrie, Sherman, Ochsner, Thornley, Banister, Ruby. For me, it's all too much pathetic cloak and dagger, nothing substantial can be verified and it is for the writer to demonstrate how it is right, not for the reader to demonstrate how it is wrong.
Like so much of the JFK case, I have found that everything is up for questioning. For instance, I don't believe that the man killed by Jack Ruby was Lee Harvey Oswald (the brother of Robert & son of Marguerite)!!!