Jordan Koroveshi's Reviews > Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Oct 19, 2012

Read from September 11 to October 19, 2012

That was a crazy journey. The way it was written, the 6 stories, made it feel like I was time travelling. A novel is said to be great when you can imagine yourself in the setting no matter how unnatural it might feel. Imagining yourself in 6 different settings around the world and through hundreds of years is no easy feat for an author to accomplish. I can safely say that, with Cloud Atlas, I felt like I was on board the ship, at the piano with Ayrs, scared for my life with Luisa, trapped in a retirement home, reluctantly leading a resistance, and climbing mountains...while herding goats. This immersive and philosophical experience will be stuck in my mind for a long time. It's as if I have lived every one of their lives, making me feel very old but still very significant.

One thing I didn't really like about the novel was how some of the stories were just not that entertaining. On a whole it worked brilliantly but, as pieces, not so much. I suppose that this could be construed as making it seem more real - without needing any over the top conflicts, which could alienate the reader. For entertainment purposes, though, I think it would've helped.

I definitely liked how the stories were tied together in a very subtle way without stupid flashbacks or premonitions and the like.

Overall, I would extremely recommend this. Getting through the first story was pretty hard but once you're through that, it's certainly worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Atlas.

09/11/2012
5.0% "15 words I don't know so far."
09/12/2012 page 50
9.0% "Half of one story down. I spent ten minutes figuring out why it just cut out randomly." 5 comments
09/17/2012 page 75
14.0% "Omg a Dorian Gray reference! I'm so cultured."
09/19/2012 page 110
20.0% "Luisa Rey is SOOOO much easier than Ewing and Frobisher. My headache is gone!" 1 comment
09/20/2012 page 150
28.0% "Am I meant to be trying to figure out which of the two the new author is? I don't get it..Cavendish has been alive at the same time as Luisa Rey and Sixsmith."
09/20/2012 page 190
35.0% "This just got xtremely weird."
09/20/2012 page 190
35.0% "Love how brands are being used as nouns in the future even more prominently than they are now." 2 comments
09/23/2012 page 228
43.0% "So excited to see Nea So Copros in the film!"
09/27/2012 page 250
47.0% "I've hit a wall." 1 comment
09/28/2012 page 260
49.0% "HAHAHA
"We’d got a feverish hornyin’ for each other, see, an’ in that druggy skylarkin’ aft’noon I was slurpyin’ her lustsome mangoes an’ moistly fig."" 2 comments
10/04/2012 page 305
57.0% "Damn, Zachry's story took a turn for the emotional."
10/11/2012 page 379
71.0% "This book LITERALLY goes forever."
10/11/2012 page 390
73.0% "Proposition: I have fallen in love with Luisa Rey."
10/16/2012 page 439
83.0% "Omg Eva is so amazing." 10 comments

message 1: by Eunice (new) - added it

Eunice haha we just got like 20 copies of it at work. :p

Jordan Koroveshi nup, never going to dymocks again