Jesse Booth's Reviews > Halo: The Fall of Reach

Halo by Eric S. Nylund

Jun 08, 09

bookshelves: 2009

The Halo story is phenomenal. For people who just play the video games, you are missing out on the best part. Gameplay may be fun, but reading about the actual story completes the game.

Fall of Reach is a prequel to the original Halo: Combat Evolved story and gives amazing insight on how John 117 came to be. He definitely has more of a personality in the book, so it was good to actually see that.

As the title of the book indicates, this story goes into detail about the events leading up to when The Pillar of Autumn jumped into slipspace and escaped literal destruction from the devastation of Reach. Reach is the biggest military base humanity owns, and they fight valiantly, but the Covenant is just too powerful. They come full force at the planet and The Pillar of Autumn narrowly escapes. The book ends with the discovery of the first Halo ring, built by the forerunners.

Eric Nylund is actually a decent writer. He keeps things interesting and consistent. I read this book about 6 years ago, but with the recent announcement of Halo: Reach, I wanted to go through the story again. I am glad I did.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halo.