Kitte 's Reviews > Pattern Recognition

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson

201708
Dec 09, 08

Read in December, 2008

** spoiler alert ** When I started Pattern Recognition, I was sucked into it right away. I was caught up in the intrigue and espionage and I genuinely cared for the main character Cayce Pollard and her peculiar affliction. I loved her travels and who hasn't fantasized about traveling the world with an unlimited credit card and helpful staff to arrange everything for you?

Towards the end my empathy for Cayce kept me reading even though as the plot threads started to come together and the mystery was resolved, I was left with a kind of, "huh." reaction. For having spent so much time analyzing the psyche of the "maker" the answer to who is it and why the segments were being produced was anti-climatic at best.

We didn't even get to meet the maker, just the various mouthpieces and protectors of the maker, and I found it to be a little unsatisfying, like reading an in depth psychoanalysis of someone who turns out to be mad and not in an interesting or fun way, but just plain disconnected. I wanted to know more about this person, the couple in the segments, I wanted it all to have meaning, but it was practically random the way it played out. Even though all the loose ends came together, the ending seemed disjointed from the rest of the book. Of course this could also be a part of the genius that is Gibson. The Maker is removed from the action on many levels and is kind of the calm center of the storm, totally oblivious to the stir that the work is creating.

All in all I think it was a fun read and I am not sorry for the time I spent in Gibson's version of the world of today. I have been a huge fan of Gibson's for many years and even when the story falters, his writing style keeps me riveted to the story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pattern Recognition.