James's Reviews > Encrypted

Encrypted by Lindsay Buroker

Aug 29, 12

Read from August 20 to 27, 2012

Encrypted starts off with a great premise: an accomplished linguist is kidnapped and forced to help translate a mysterious set of runes. That was enough to get me into the book, but the story kept providing twists and puzzles that raised the stakes. By the end, I was fully engrossed in the mystery, and it played out very well!
This book takes place in the same universe as many of Buroker's books and stories, but refreshingly in a different part of the world. We're introduced to the Turgonian Empire from a completely different perspective. This is the first book I've read from that setting, and it was interesting to see the Empire portrayed as the absolute villains. I've read some short stories with other characters who are loyal to the Empire, and now I'm intrigued at how they're able to justify or react to that loyalty in Buroker's Emperor's Edge series. The impression that I'm left with now is that her world is certainly not black and white, but many shades of grey...just the way a good protagonist/antagonist should be portrayed!

This is an excellent book, and I felt it was a god introduction to the world Buroker has built. It also left me wanting to hear more; reading that this book takes place some 18 years before the Emperor's Edge series, I can't help but wonder if these characters will be revisited. I hope they are!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encrypted.