Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog's Reviews > If I Were You

If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones

Aug 20, 2012

bookshelves: arc-netgalley, bdsm, explicit, favorites, hot-and-heavy, lead-character-s-famous, lead-character-player, romantic-suspense
Recommended to Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog by: Mitsy
Read from August 24 to 27, 2012

A Strong 4.5 Stars

He shoved me against the wall and then tore down my panties. His lips pressed close to my ear, his breath hot on my neck, as he said, ‘you know the rules, you know I have to punish you.’

**Fans self** Holy hell.

This book exceeded my expectations. The storyline was unique for it was two stories woven into one. We have Rebecca’s journals, which are the catalyst for the whole thing, and then there’s Sara’s side. Aside from Rebecca’s journal entries, this tale is told in Sara’s POV.

Sara’s meek little life as a school teacher is about to change when she finds Rebecca’s journals from an abandoned storage unit that her neighbor, Ella, purchases for profit. The journal entries immediately draw Sara’s attention. The entries are filled with Rebecca’s mysterious erotic love life. They are very personal and very private. Why would Rebecca just leave these lying around? Did something happen to her?

These are the questions that drive Sara to look for her. Following a small amount of clues that she gathers leads her to the Allure Gallery, where Rebecca was last known to work. What she didn’t expect was to be hired as Rebecca’s fill in after she encounters the Gallery’s manager at a function. Sara has always dreamed of working in the Art Industry. This is perfect way to not only make her dream a reality, but to also learn more about Rebecca.

While at the Gallery, she meets the most interesting people, particularly Mark Compton, her manger, and Chris Merit, a well known artist. Both men are sexy as sin, but are opposite in many ways. Mark is dominating, intimidating, curt and demanding. He’s got this dangerous air about him, but oh is he alluring. Is he the mystery man mentioned in Rebecca’s story? He certainly fits the bill.

“Nothing has changed, Sara. I’m still not the guy who’ll give you a white picket fence.” ~ Chris Merit

Then there’s Chris. Sara and he instantly hit it off. Chris is controlling, but in an extremely sexy, panty dropping way. He’s charming, and even though he’s a rich and famous artist, he’s very humble. Sara, as well as myself, fell head over heels in lust for this man. He seems to be very protective of Sara when it comes to Mark. Chris certainly has a way of marking his territory when it comes to her. Chris and Sara ultimately begin a torrid sexual relationship. Their chemistry was off the charts. Holy hell, it’s HOT. However, is their relationship purely sexual or is there something else brewing between them? Can Sara trust him?

In regards to its similarities to Fifty Shades, I don’t really know what to say. Yes, Chris & Mark are Doms. Yes, the heroine has moments of clumsiness and she definitely doesn’t believe the effect she has on her male counterparts. Yes, the setting in San Francisco adds a little bit of an allure and mystery to the story. And a big YES: The sex scenes are unforgettable and blisteringly hot. But aside from that, that’s it. At least that’s all I could find. Or maybe I was just too busy enjoying the story itself to even care to look for similarities. I don’t know. I don’t care. I absolutely loved it.

This first story in the trilogy left you with a huge cliffhanger and multiple questions that have yet to be answered: What happened to Rebecca? Who is the mystery man mentioned in her journals? Where is Ella? (Something about her jetting off like that didn’t sit right with me). Who was the creep at the storage facility? Is Chris going to ultimately push Sara away because he isn’t relationship material? Gahhhh! There are so many freaking unanswered questions, I can go on and on about it. To say I want the next book now is an understatement.

Thank you Lisa Renee Jones and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this book :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Were You.

Quotes Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Liked

Lisa Renee Jones
“Taking you to the shower. Me Tarzan, You Jane. Do as I say.”

Lisa Renee Jones
“I'm going to lick you all over before this night is over, Sara, ... Suck your nipples until you are crazy with need, then spread you wide and lick you until you come and then, I'm going to do it all over again. I'm going to make sure you are so thoroughly fucked that being fucked has a new meaning.”

Lisa Renee Jones
“I can feel this man in every part of my body and he has not even touched me.”

08/26/2012
68.0% "Not on the ground, nor bed, nor wall...Fuck!! That was hot. And Chris Merit **sigh** Just **sigh** ...." 10 comments
03/04/2016 marked as: read

Alexis *Reality Bites* So Jeal right now;)

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Why? It's available on Amazon, silly =)

Alexis *Reality Bites* Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ wrote: "Why? It's available on Amazon, silly =)"

No bleeping way.... I thought this came out in the fall...I must get it. NOW!LOL!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog BTW, Alexis, you should totally sign up for netgalley! It's the easiest way to get ARCs :)

Alexis *Reality Bites* Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ wrote: "LMAO! It came out today :)"

Oh. Bahahahahahaha!!
Well I just downloaded it, not sure how soon I'll get to it tho.

Alexis *Reality Bites* Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ wrote: "BTW, Alexis, you should totally sign up for netgalley! It's the easiest way to get ARCs :)"

I actually did a few months back... I just never setup my profile and explored it. I recently received an ARC via netgalley today. Its on my to do list:)

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Woohoo! You know, that's where I got The Angel (The Original Sinners, #2) by Tiffany Reisz. Just sayin... LOL. =D

Alexis *Reality Bites* I'm gonna get on it asap!!!

Alexis *Reality Bites* *Grinning*

Maria I'll be awaiting your review on this one especially since its being compared to Fifty!! I'm gonna check it out after I finish Captive In The Dark!!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Hope you enjoy Captive in the Dark, Maria =) Loved that book!

Maria Loving it so far!!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Chanda wrote: "I got ths on Net Galley!!! =D"

Me too! Its pretty good so far. We'll see :)

message 16: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Wade Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ wrote: "Chanda wrote: "I got ths on Net Galley!!! =D"

Me too! Its pretty good so far. We'll see :)"

I have been hearing soooo much about this book! My friend Tee wants me to read it asap and now all you girls are reading. I can't wait to check it out!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Chanda wrote: "Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ wrote: "Chanda wrote: "I got ths on Net Galley!!! =D"

Me too! Its pretty good so far. We'll see :)"

I am going to read it after Captive in the Dark. Btw, I am really lo..."

I'm so excited that you're reading Captive in the Dark! God, that is so good. Plus, Seduced in the Dark was just as awesome, if not, even better. I can't wait until everyone reads that, too. So excited for you! Yes, I'm that giddy about Seduced. LOL. =)

Maria I'm so Fucking Gitty for Seduced I can't stand it, I'm glad I don't have to wait long!!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Rachael wrote: "Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ wrote: "Chanda wrote: "I got ths on Net Galley!!! =D"

Me too! Its pretty good so far. We'll see :)"

I have been hearing soooo much about this book! My friend Tee wants ..."

Rach, they're comparing it to Fifty and unlike Bared to You, which was a Fifty knockoff (IMHO), the only similarities are very minor. So far, it's going well and based on reviews, it's suppose to get better ;) BTW, can't wait for our Tina Reber buddy read either (YAY!!) =)

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Maria, I'm so EXCITED for you and for everyone to read Seduced. I fucking LOVED it and I'm tempted to read it again. I'm a mess, but I don't care. It was awesome :) LOL.

Maria WoooooooooooooHooooooooooooo Tina Bieber Buddy Read, I can't Fucking Wait for that Either!!!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog I know!! Lots of great books out next weekend! Tina Reber on August 31st then Seduced on Sept. 1st. Wow!!

Maria The Weekend is on The Up and Up FO SHO!!

message 25: by Fathima (last edited Aug 26, 2012 05:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fathima OOOOH THIS BOOK IS HAWT , like take-off-yo-panties hawt !!!! :P

Fathima Chanda wrote: "Fathima wrote: "OOOOH THIS BOOK IS HAWT , like take-off-yo-panties hawt !!!! :P"

LMAO!! I love your review of it ;)"

LOL !!! Thanks girl ;)

message 27: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy loved this book...but kind of wish i hadnt come across it yet..i hate having cliffhangers if the next book isnt anywhere near ready :( i want to know everything now! too impatient ha!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog LOL! I know what you mean. I hate cliffhangers and try to avoid it, but sometimes I just can't help it and just read the darn thing. LOL.

message 29: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy I know..if I know a book is out there that I want to read I cant put it off, but then I'm left with this feeling off 'i want the next book now!!!' like a spoilt child who can't get her own way lol! I'm waiting for so many second follow up books to be released but I'm sure they'll all be worth the wait :)

Janet Wow that review makes me want to read it! Thanks

Mitsy Just finished it, so now can respond to your review. Sara is nothing like Ana in Fifty Shades. Sara is a mature, smart, complex, older woman than Ana. For me, Sara is the main, most interesting, character in this book. You think Chris is pushing Sara away because he has commitment issues? I disagree. At the end, Sara needed time to think, and walked away, while Chris was nearly begging her for a chance to explain. I think Sara has relationship issues as badly as Chris does, if not worse. It's push/pull with those two while neither know what they want, or are too scared to admit it.

Tanya Walker I didn't get the Fifty vibe at all. Freakin loved it and so mad I have to wait for more!!!

message 33: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Great review. I think you just talked me into reading this! :)

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Thanks, Lindsay! You totally should read this. I really liked it. The only drawback was the cliffhanger...grrrr! lol

message 35: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Is there a HEA or at least a Happily-for-now?

Since there is a cliffhanger, should I wait until book 2 is out and read them back-to-back?

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Oh that's a tough one. I guess u could wait since there really wasn't an HEA, not that it ended bad or anything, just hanging. lol

message 37: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Lol. I can handle the left hanging part.

I think my biggest worry is the comparisons I've seen to Fifty Shades. I started Fifty Shades but haven't gotten past chapter 5, I just can't get into it. Your review eased some of those fears, but...they still linger.

message 38: by Samantha (new)

Samantha wasnt sure I was going to read this book until I read your comment...now i am definately going to read it..lol

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Yay! I hope it doesn't disappoint you, Samantha =)