Joseph's Reviews > The Book of Lost Things

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Dec 16, 08

bookshelves: fiction, book-club
Read in December, 2008 — I own a copy

Is it wrong that my reading was severely impeded by the reader's guide at the end of the book?

The story itself was fine, although it was way too derivative. Reading it, I could almost visualize the pitch meeting, with Connolly explaining that the book would be like the Narnia books and Grimm's fairy tales ... but darker!

And the added darkness worked. The Book of Lost Things, despite being predictable, was a good read, with an interesting story and a few moments of genius.

And then there's the reader's guide. I feel stupid harping on this, but Mr. Connolly (or perhaps his publishers) seems to think that his novel was a lot more opaque than it actually was. But his use and alteration of existing stories was not nearly interesting enough to earn him the opportunity to pull back the curtain and demonstrate the inner workings of his plot. There was no curtain.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Things.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Agreed! The story was decent, but the reader's guide is so chock full of pretension, it really undermined my estimation of the book.