Pretty in Fiction's Reviews > Inbetween

Inbetween by Tara A. Fuller

Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: reviews-by-jesse
Read in August, 2012

Inbetween by Tara Fuller is a cute story about a grim reaper and the human girl he's sworn to protect, despite all of the trouble he knows he'll get in. It's told in alternating points of view, jumping back and forth between the brooding reaper Finn and the innocent human Emma. Inbetween is a story of forbidden love and vicious vengeance.

I felt like I had jumped into the middle of a book when I started Inbetween. There's a lot of history between the characters. History that you find out about later in the book, but it's glossed over in the beginning, which left me feeling like I was missing something. But that same suspense and intrigue was what kept me interested in knowing how it was all going to end, so it wasn't a bad thing. Just a little unsettling at first. The only thing that annoyed me about Inbetween was the way that during the entire course of the book all Emma and Finn say is how much they want to be with each other all the time. I get it, you like each other. You don't need to keep repeating yourselves!

In fact, Emma and Finn's romance is about as close as you can get to instalove without actually crossing the line. The only thing that saves their relationship from truly being classified as instalove (though I think I'll classify it that way anyway) is that they fell in love twenty-something years before Emma even meets Finn. They first met when Finn was reaping Emma's soul to take to the Inbetween and she decided she wanted to be friends with him. So there is a lot of history there, we just get to see very little of it in the actual book.

So, I may not have been the biggest fan of Finn and Emma, but I really liked Emma's friend Cash and Finn's reaper friend Anaya. I really, really wish that I had gotten to see more of them. Or better yet, if they got a book all of their own in the future. Their story just seemed so much more interesting to me, and I connected with them in a way I just couldn't with Finn and Emma. There's a mystery between them and I can't wait to find out what it is!

All in all, Inbetween was a nice, light read. The story didn't quite stick with me as much as I would have liked, but it was fun while I was reading it. Inbetween might not have been exactly what I was looking for, but I still recommend this for anyone looking for a cute romance or a good story about angels/reapers.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inbetween.