Michelle's Reviews > The Apothecary's Daughter

The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen

Dec 08, 2008

bookshelves: christianfiction, forpleasure, forreview, historicalfiction, books-you-will-find-my-name-in
Read in August, 2009

Finally got a chance to read this book and it was wonderful, as expected. I enjoyed the fact that there were so many subplots to keep my attention. And I loved that the author had me guessing for a good portion of the book in regards to the young woman's future.

The title of this book fits the story perfectly. It has a bittersweet meaning that only someone who is really "into" the story would understand. I almost felt like I was watching a movie play out on the big screen because the details were so vivid. Some were so vivid, in fact, that they made me shudder. It was a bad idea for me to read that leaching scene right before I went to bed. You can imagine why.

I didn't envy the decisions the heroine needed to make. I also found the peculiarities regarding her brother's behavior intriguing. Since I have clients with similar diagnoses, I thought the author did a great job portraying the particulars of someone with his limited abilities. It was good to see an accurate portrayal of two people with special needs that were not immediately tucked away in asylums as was the trend back in that era. Fans of Regency romances should really enjoy this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apothecary's Daughter.

08/01/2009 page 148