Alison's Reviews > Shine Shine Shine

2072777
Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from August 20 to 27, 2012

One of those you can't keep from taking a highlighter to--the sentences are that beautiful, the thoughts that sublime. Maxon is a mathematical mind to the millionth degree, he has a formula for everything. He thinks humans are binary--you either are or you aren't something, there's nothing in between. But he loves Sunny and she loves him, and in that sense this is the best romance I've read in years. Once Maxon realizes he loves Sunny, that his binary switch is flipped to YES, “it never turned off again in his whole life. It was a switch that was duct-taped to one side with a sign beside it that said do not touch.” This book is nearly impossible to explain, but it affected me deeply, I loved it, I'll probably read it again and again. How about this for great:
"There are three things that robots cannot do," wrote Maxon. Then beneath that on the page he wrote three dots, indented. Beside the first dot he wrote "Show preference without reason (LOVE)" and then "Doubt rational decisions (REGRET)" and finally "Trust data from a previously unreliable source (FORGIVE)."
Read it, be amazed!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine Shine Shine.