Carolyn's Reviews > Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets

Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Dec 14, 08

bookshelves: economics
Recommended for: everyone. The concepts in this book are invaluable for those developing critical thinking skills.
Read in January, 2008, read count: 2

This is the best book I have read all year, closely followed by his other book, The Black Swan. Fooled by Randomness is one of that select group of books that changes your mind entirely. Once I read it I could never look at the world the same again, nor could I take my old assumptions for granted.

We are so accustomed to looking at the world and seeing patterns that we do not always understand that we may be seeing randomness and imposing a pattern where none belongs. Taleb talks about the various ways we fool ourselves and why we cannot help but be wrong much of the time. He branches out from probability and mathematics to explain why our minds work as they do and what the recent psychological and neuroscientific studies as well as evolutionary psychology have to say about how we think and why we are so easily fooled by randomness.

His writing is lively and peppered with anecdotes. It is an easy read but he never condescends to the reader nor dumbs down the subject. A great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fooled by Randomness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny I clearly must read one of his books. A Cambridge friend was recommending "The Black Swan" to me just a couple of weeks ago. Which one do you recommend starting with?