Christie Bane's Reviews > Before You Know Kindness

Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian

Aug 20, 12

it was ok
Read from August 15 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I picked up this book because it was there, it was cheap, and I vaguely remembered that I read this guy's book Midwives and liked it a long time ago. This turned out to be a mistake. It looked like a small, quick read, but actually it was over 400 pages long with tiny font and took me 5 whole days to read. AND I didn't even like it!

I can't criticize the author much. He is technically a good writer. His grammar, structure, and everything else is beyond reproach. I just plain did not enjoy this book. I hate the omniscient narrator point of view. Some people like it. They would probably like this book. Then again, it was another one where, in my opinion, the author is too big of a presence in his own story. I just read another book like this one and already forgot what it was about, and I know I will forget what this one was about, too. (Note to self: it is about a girl who accidentally shoots her father in the arm with her uncle's high-powered shotgun, crippling him for life, and the various repercussions within the family of that action.)

I will not read another book by this author, no matter how popular his books are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before You Know Kindness.