C.P.'s Reviews > The Ordinary Life of Emily Austin

The Ordinary Life of Emily Austin by R.J. Hunt

Sep 24, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from September 02 to 04, 2012

**I received this book free of charge courtesy of Goodreads First Reads Giveaways**

I'm a glutton for the journey's of others. I love reading about them, through stories like this or full autobiographies. I think we each have so much we can learn from listening to one another and you know you hit a wonderfully done piece of work when it truly leaves you in reflection of your own life. Unfortunately this book is not one of those books. I am wondering if it was meant as satire.

The main character Emily is painted in what I'm calling "Bella Swan Light." In other words, she is totally perfect and the small imperfections painted are supposed to be completely cute in a it's-never-my-fault, innocent manner. She is wonderful, everyone likes her, and the terrible things that happen to her are not of her own doing and she has no real responsibility in them. The few moments the author almost makes her a responsible adult she erases them with justifications and shifts blame to others around her. In truth the main character is selfish, childish, rude, extremely judgmental, and at times borderline racist.
At no point in this story is there any journey or growing for the character as a person. No, not everyone around her always did the right thing but when examining the full situation she has a larger role than she will admit. She just blunders from one situation to the next with rambling about her divine abilities and reminding herself just how much better she is than everyone else around her. She does admit to a few mistakes here and there but doesn't really ever change. Her son is a complete screw up and instead of making him take responsibility she blames the area he was raised in and his "big heart" for the "hood" friends he tries to help out. Really, if anyone grew up with an enabler mother like Emily Austin they would be irresponsible jack-wagons too.

Overall I am going to rate the book as satire since that is what I think it is. It was funny in a few parts and does poke at the "great life journeys" that sweep over modern culture from time to time. Not a bad read, just not a great one and definitely not something that will stick with you long after you have set it down. I may or may not read the second half when it comes out, if it's free or close to free. I would not spend or recommend spending any kind of real money on this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ordinary Life of Emily Austin.