Holden Attradies's Reviews > The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: zombie, fiction, sequential-art
Read in August, 2012, read count: 2

My favorite part of The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead was the Recorded Attacks section, and it always leaves me wishing it was a whole book on it's own. So when I first saw that this book existed I was excited, both loving that section and graphic novels.

Upon reading it, however, I was disappointed much in the manner I was disappointed in the original abridged audiobook for World War Z. It leaves out so many good things. This I understand, I suppose. I guess they didn't want the book to be to big? I also guess a lot of the entries had a lot of narrative that wouldn't have fit will to a mostly visual medium. This, however, is something I think they could have easily done if they tried.

Now, as much as I enjoyed Ibraim Roberson's art, I have to say it was also my biggest complaint. Not that it wasn't good, it was, but specifically that the zombies were not really what I pictured when reading ZSG or WWZ. I've noticed artists, especially in comics, tend to really zombie up the zombies, which to me really takes away some of the believability and horror which Max's books are all about. All of the zombies, no matter how newly changed, seem to be rotting away to nothing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zombie Survival Guide.