Dareyn's Reviews > Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes

Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard

U 50x66
Aug 20, 12

Read in August, 2012

As a member of the 1% of this book's readers who possess a Y chromosome, I think my rating should be weighted more heavily than average. This is a clearly chick-lit, but I went in acknowledging as much and enjoyed the book because the author is clearly a good writer, unifies her theme around the food that highlights her experiences in Paris, and is masterful at developing the reader's intrigue by revisiting and adding detail or clarity to thoughts previously discussed in the novel. For example, her use of her relationship with her father and his struggles adds meaningful context to her challenges in adjusting to her new life, and she returns to these thoughts ina subtle way that develops their outcome in a way that left me impressed at both her use of the subject as a literary device, but also at her level of personal adjustment to be able to incorporate them in such a mature manner. The author's culture insights are personal, genuine, and far less precocious than some other reviewers' have lambasted her for. It also has to be said that the concept and format of the book comprise a truly clever mechanism for someone in their thirties, an age at which there should be no reason to write a memoir, to do so without coming across as haughty. I enjoyed the book far more that I thought I would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunch in Paris.