Emily's Reviews > DiSemblance

DiSemblance by Shanae Branham

Feb 10, 13

Read from August 20 to 24, 2012

DiSemblance was a first of many things for me: my first review request, my first self-published book, and my first techno-thriller (I hadn't even known that this existed as a sub-genre.) Because it had so much riding on it, at least for me, this book needed to set a precedent. Luckily, it was a pretty good one.

DiSemblance is, first and foremost, marketed as a thriller. While some scenes may have readers on the edge of their seats, my interest in the plot was more muted. I didn't get the constant rush of adrenaline I had expected, but this was not a bad thing. I think the fact that much of the life-or-death action takes place in a technologically advanced hologram machine is what made me have a more intellectual curiosity about what will happen next as opposed to the pure suspense I may have felt had Jason's problems been more tangible. I actually enjoyed this kind of suspense more than the traditional sort I was expecting.

This book is also a story that revolves around computers and technology. One of my favorite things about DiSemblance was how well the author wrote about the hologram machine. An idea like this could so easily come off as cheesy or fake, but, through technical descriptions and scenes that take place inside the machine, Branham managed to make this new invention seem entirely real.

On the flip side of that, this novel has some good interpersonal relations subplots. I loved reading about how his father's invention had prevented Jason from forging relationships with people outside of his family, including Boston, his romantic interest. Each main character has some kind of family or relationship problem that nicely sets off the high-tech backdrop of this story.

I really liked what was written in this story, so my only real complaint is how it was written. The writing wasn't terrible, but the many short sentences gave the narration a slightly choppy feel. I felt like some could have been combined, which would have made the book flow much more smoothly.

Despite this, DiSemblance is a solid story with plenty of action and excitement. Shanae Branham is a budding author to watch, and it will be intriguing to see where she goes next!

This review originally appeared at www.foreverliterary.blogspot.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read DiSemblance.