Ellie's Reviews > Dreamland

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

Aug 20, 12

liked it

I am a massive Dessen fan, and this book was one of the first five I read by her (This Lullaby, Lock & Key, Last Chance, Someone Like You and Dreamland). In a way, these five books hold something different for me than the others I continued to read. They were the start of something I grew to love, therefore they are special and that will never change, even if I read them again and again and again, but Dreamland is different in its own way.
Dreamland is different in the way that it isn't just a story about a girl and how her life changes for the better when a boy walks into it, it's about how it takes a turn for the worse.
This book deals with problems that many people will not be able to understand if they hear about them, but they can suddenly relate to them when they read this book. Dessen describes in detail and explains everything so vividly that you know it's glaringly wrong, but can understand why the narrator, in this case Caitlin, thinks the aren't, or why she hides them.
This book is considerably darker than all Dessen's other books, but I do recommend it nonetheless!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamland.