Debbie's Reviews > Ah-Choo!: The Uncommon Life of Your Common Cold

Ah-Choo! by Jennifer Ackerman

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in August, 2012

"Ah-Choo!" is a book about the common cold: how you pick them up, what cold symptoms are and why, who is most likely to get a cold, how cold viruses work, how your body reacts, historical views on colds and how to treat them, modern treatments and how well they work, the expert's advice on how to treat colds and prevent getting them, and trivia.

This book was generally engaging and easy to follow, but the author included a lot of scientific studies in some chapters. I liked those, but she wasn't always clear about what was being studied (viruses and bacteria in general, presence of cold viruses, presence of viable cold viruses, etc.), so I didn't always know what to make of the study results. Some of the studies came to conflicting conclusions, and sometimes the author didn't comment on the conflict so I wondered if I understood correctly what was concluded.

The most useful part of the book was actually the appendix which neatly summarized the important information about colds, how to prevent them, and what actually worked if you had one. I plan on using that information, though I already do a lot of it (like frequently washing your hands--thoroughly--and not touching your eyes and nose when you hands may be contaminated). I was surprised by some of the results about what works and what doesn't, and I certainly intend to follow the experts' advice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ah-Choo!.