Raquel Martin's Reviews > Chime

Chime by Franny Billingsley

Jan 07, 13

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in April, 2012

I broke a personal rule and bought this book on my Kindle (which I usually reserve for reading only while traveling) because I met Franny in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, where I live, and thought she was delightful. Being an ex-lawyer, I also loved hearing how she gave up her legal career on a whim and moved to Spain to start writing. The ultimate product of that decision was Chime. My adult love affair with fantasy started with Lord of the Rings (25+ readings!), moved on to Harry Potter (6+ readings), Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, Twilight, and finally Martin's Storm of Swords series. So when i learned Franny's Chime was a fantasy, I went straight to my Kindle and ordered it so I wouldn't have to wait til I was back in the states to buy it.

I thoroughly enjoyed Chime. Franny's writing style is wonderful -- it makes you wish you had the ability to write like that! I enjoyed the story as well, but the real joy was in the writing and in the character development. Briony is a wonderful character who's been viciously misled by an adult she loved and trusted and carelessly emotionally abandoned by a father who seems not to understand what it means to be a parent. You know right away that she is better than she thinks she is and you want to shake her and say, Wake up! Don't buy into that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chime.