Stephanie Ziegler's Reviews > My Name is Memory

My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares

12052904
Aug 20, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, i-bought
Recommended to Stephanie by: the book jacket
Read in October, 2011 — I own a copy

* THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS *

What a book! It is full of a wealth of knowledge of the history of our world told through the lives Daniel had, assuming this history is true (history was never my strong suit). Daniel never lived during historic events so a lot of research went into this book. That alone if a huge feat!

I enjoyed the structure of the book. How the story was told through Lucy in 2006 and after, and Daniel told about his past lifetimes. I liked how the author gave us a story in real-time and then took us back to one of Daniel's lives to give us more information, pertinent to the real-time story or for the future stories. So it was a back and forth structure that needed to be well in line and Brashares succeeded.

I was really frustrated with how long it took Lucy and Daniel to find each other. Both are extremely smart people, especially Daniel (he has been around for almost 2000 years). I had to keep telling myself that they are still so young. But as they got older and received more information about the other, I just do not understand why they just did not go to one another, they always made excuses. So since you read so much about them working their way to each other, when they finally do, it was extremely anti-climatic. The end was left open, maybe for a possible sequel, but you have the impression that Daniel died and since their love is so strong, they will find each other in their next lifetimes. Heck, Daniel could be the baby inside of Lucy. But ending the book with the last letter he sent to Lucy in her secret hiding place from Joaquim left me closing the book with no satisfaction (and having that satisfaction is my favorite part).

I guess the point of the story is that love will stand the test of time, but since their reunion was anti-climatic and short, I felt nothing. It actually had me thinking of something Lucy had said to Daniel, maybe they did not live these lives to love each other, that maybe they were not supposed to ever be together. And considering Daniel's first sin was to kill her in his first life, that's not an option I can overlook.

If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself!

Until next time, take life one page at a time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Memory.