Stéphanie's Reviews > Shadow Rising

Shadow Rising by Cassi Carver

Aug 22, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, romance, supernatural-paranormal
Read from August 15 to 20, 2012

Rarely do I find myself liking a sequel better than the first book. Yet, that’s what happened with SHADOW RISING. Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy reading SLAYER'S KISS and I thought it was a wonderful debut novel, but things just get steamier and more interesting in this second book. There’s simply more action, more adventure, and more curveballs.

One thing that’s very appealing in this series is the main character, Kara. She’s not the perfect heroine—far from it. But I think that’s what I find so appealing. Although she’s not human, she was raised as one and will always have the character traits and morals of a good human being. Her history as an orphan has made her independent and self-sufficient. These qualities get her into a lot of trouble in SHADOW RISING since she refuses the help of many people, when she would truly benefit from all the help she can get. Her devotion to the ones she loves is obvious in everything she does. From finding the cure for her best friend Abbey’s festering unnatural cut, to helping her lover Julian who has risen from dead remember who he is (even if it might be an evil black wing disguising as Julian), she really tries to help everyone. And as an immature Demiáre female, I think she feels helpless in some cases because she doesn’t have the powers of a fully mature Demiáre.

One person she does accept help from early on, is Tray, a police officer and Abbey’s ex. While he might not be exactly who he says he is, Kara has known Tray for a while and he’s the only human besides Abbey she can trust with her Demiáre life. While I kept asking myself what his true role was in the book was, all was answered at the very end. I’m telling you, you’re in for a surprise when it comes to Tray!

While I’m still not sure who Kara really loves, her heart seems to belong to Julian. The amazing chemistry between these two characters is simply amazing, even if Julian is an amnesiac and remembers nothing of his life before dying and rising as a black wing. I love the funny banter between the two of them, and of course the love scene will have you floating in clouds, literally. On the other hand, Gavin would love nothing more than be a part of Kara’s romantic life, but I think Kara just sees him as someone to lean on and expects him to be there when things go bad. And unfortunately, Gavin wasn’t there when she needed him most, so I think she holds him accountable for her loneliness and pain.

If you enjoy reading urban fantasies with steamy-hot romantic scenes, this series is not to be missed. Cassi Carver has revealed so much more about her Demiáre world in SHADOW RISING. Information about the Demiáre clan and the witches was missing in the previous book and the author added more depth to her world by revealing just enough to keep her readers interested. Things are heating up (in and out of the bedroom) and I thing something big is about to happen in the next books. Something I really don’t want to miss!

FTC Advisory: The author provided me with a e-ARC of Shadow Rising. No goody bags, sponsorship, “material goods,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.

Find this and other reviews on Tynga's Reviews
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Rising.