Laura Martinelli's Reviews > The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee

The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee by Tom Angleberger

Sep 25, 12

bookshelves: best-of-the-year-2012, own, tie-in
Read from September 12 to 14, 2012

So, thanks to work-related deadlines and I have too many books to read in a short amount of time (why does everything come out in September, why?), I broke my rule about not starting series in the middle. We’ve gotten in the other Origami Yoda books in at work, and I’ve made mental notes to check them out, but I just never gotten around to doing so before we returned them.

That said, this was a solid read, and one that I was able to plow through pretty quick. I liked the journalistic style, I thought the kids were fun and they all had their own distinct voices (as well as page font, but you could tell who was talking without noticing the change in typesetting). The plot is a little thin, but I’m chalking that more to the fact that I haven’t read the previous two books, and so I don’t know the full story behind Dwight and the Origami Yoda. The message is very much a diatribe against schools cutting the arts and killing kids’ creative in order to focus on testing. (Which isn’t a bad message, but it does have a very anvilicious feel to it.) The only thing I don’t really like with the book overall is that the main characters feel cheated that the person behind the Fortune Wookie was Sarah and that she was dispensing girl advice. I liked the portrayal of nerdy girls in this book, but I don’t like the idea that “Oh, well, her advice is more manipulative than the kind Dwight gives.” It doesn’t outright say it, but that’s what it felt like to me.

It’s a solid read, and while I’m not entirely with the end, I’m going to go back and read the earlier books, if only to get a better grasp on the plot.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee.

09/12/2012 page 29