Joni Thomas's Reviews > Showtime

Showtime by Chloe Kayne

Aug 20, 12

I credit this book to getting me out of my reading funk. Until this book came along I was reading Mary Higgins Clark and nothing else simply because it kept my mind busy, not because I was actually into the story. And then came a period of not reading at all. Until I came home to a package on my porch and unwrapped it to find a copy of this lovely novel.
The detail is extraordinary. The circus and the characters come to life in this novel. I was captivated by the romance between Laila and her "Disappearing Man", her friendship with the animal trainer, and her spot in the show. The details were genuine and unlike other period novels I never forgot that I was reading a book set in the 1920's.
I have always said that you know that you read a great book when the story sticks with you for days, weeks even, after reading it. When you think about the characters as though they are real people and not characters in a novel. I experience that feeling with Showtime. I can't wait for the sequel to come out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Showtime.