Jacquelyn's Reviews > More Than You Know

More Than You Know by Beth Gutcheon

Dec 08, 2008

As I stated in my profile, I enjoy historical paranormal mysteries, and this is one of the best I've read in a long time. It is a murder mystery, a ghost story, and a romance set on the coast of Maine. It is also a tale of love turned to hatred; blame nurtured while responsibility is ignored; sad children and poor parenting. Told from the point of view of an old woman reminiscing about young love, the story weaves between the time of her youth, the depression era, and that of a troubled girl from the previous century. One of my co-workers recently told me he believes in ghosts because that kind of energy doesn't die. The emotions that are described in this tale are the kind that do not fade easily: anger, betrayal, disappointment, and sorrow. As one character falls in love, the other feels only bitterness towards her spouse. Someone has brutally murdered this disagreeable man. Is the culprit his accused daughter? Is it the specter who haunts the schoolhouse? Our narrator relives her youth and the mystery unfolds as we turn the pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Than You Know.

05/30 marked as: read