Jacinta's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

F 50x66
Aug 20, 2012

liked it

The book is really easy to read and written in a very convincing way. It's easy to see what todd burpo wants you to read, don't get me wrong, I do believe that Colton had an experience up there and saw things beyond our comprehension, but I do have to say that I wonder how much of it was what they wanted to hear?

I strongly believe in the message of the story, some elements really hit home and struck a chord deep in my understanding of us and god. However, the repetitive use of Colton's little understanding as reinforcement of the inexplicableness of his experiences shook their truthfulness. As much as I'd like to completely support it, we are only humans and i have heard enough about the independence of our minds. Todd was a pastor, raising his kids to know about god and I'm sure Colton was somewhat exposed to quite a bit of information, even if his dad didn't know it. I'm not discounting that it happened though, just the way some parts were written, accompanied with a reason, made me feel as if the author was constantly trying to convince me instead of letting the events speak for themselves.

Entertaining read, unique experience told in very readable fashion, must read for Christians and non believers alike. Really makes you think about his relationship with us, whether or not you believe in him at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.