Michael Dunellen's Reviews > Consequences

Consequences by Aleatha Romig

"Compartmentalize."

"Glitches."

If you read this, you will understand why I wrote the two words above.

The really scary thing to me was how much this was like a Mirror, Mirror version of Fifty Shades of Grey. Everything Anthony did to Claire was something Christian could have done to Anastasia - if he didn't have a conscience. I read a book a couple of weeks ago labeled as Horror. This one is not but was actually way more horrifying in a more thoughtful sort of way.

Claire really was incredibly strong. The most amazing part was that she managed to get through to the end without going complete insane. It wouldn't have been that surprising at all.

The downside: For a re-edited version, there are several noticeable errors. Not a lot, but they did stand out to me. I also had some issues with the way the legal system was portrayed in the book - there were some jarring errors. But those are really minor issues.

I would write more but I would have to start resorting to spoiler tags and I hate to do that sort of thing. So I will end with this: I am so glad to know the sequel will be out soon, because I can't wait to see what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consequences.

08/21/2012
20.0% "I don't think I have seen a more thorough case of Stockholm Syndrome - and coming from me, that is saying a lot."
08/21/2012
33.0% "Take Fifty Shades of Grey, stir in a little Captive in the Dark, add a dash of Comfort Food, sprinkle liberally with Comfort Object, simmer gently for 370 pages …………. Hey Presto – Consequences! (Sorry, Becs, but I couldn't resist!)"
08/23/2012
88.0% "This is a looooong book. Very interesting so far but I am sort of worried about how this is going to end."
08/07/2016 marked as: read

Susan You always write such great reviews!

Michael Dunellen I wasn't sure about how people would react to the 50 Shades comparison but it really was exactly like that to me. :)

Michelle [Helen Geek] Nice! Sounds good. I may have to check it out.

Purplegirl Your second status request makes me want to move this up the TBR list. Lol

Michelle [Helen Geek] Purplegirl549 wrote: "Your second status request makes me want to move this up the TBR list. Lol"

PG - I think these comparisons happen early then dissipate the longer you read it. It really doesn't, at the end, compare to any of them. It is a stand alone and frustrating as hell. I'm reading the second book and it is SO MUCH BETTER than the first, so far.

Purplegirl Frustrating as in a major story change or just character wise?

message 7: by Michael (last edited Nov 03, 2012 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Dunellen Purplegirl549 wrote: "Your second status request makes me want to move this up the TBR list. Lol"

That particular update was inspired by one of Bec's reviews.

I still think the comparisons hold up pretty well if you put them in the correct order.

Fifty Shades - An extremely rich man with a highly devoted staff becomes obsessed with a young woman

Comfort Object - He systematically destroys the young woman's life and career so she has little choice but accept an offer he makes her

Captive in the Dark - The young woman is kidnapped and raped

Comfort Food - She is isolated from all human contact for several weeks rendering her totally dependent on the good will of her captor

I realize you can pick these apart a bit but still...

Purplegirl Michael wrote: "Purplegirl549 wrote: "Your second status request makes me want to move this up the TBR list. Lol"

That particular update was inspired by one of Bec's reviews.

I still think the comparisons hold..."

I have read and enjoyed all of those except for Comfort Food. I just couldn't get into that book. But I may try again after talking with some other GR friends. I look forward to reading Consequences, it still looks like my type of book.

message 9: by Purplegirl (last edited Nov 03, 2012 07:48AM) (new) - added it

Purplegirl Ugh, it's $8.99 so I hope it is worth it. LOL I am cheap.
**edited** Can you tell me why Amazon has an $8.99 version dated Aug.3, 2011 and then another version that is $2.99?