Adrienne's Reviews > Second Chance Summer

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

F_50x66
Aug 23, 12

Read in August, 2012

When her father is diagnosed with fatal pancreatic cancer and given only a few months to live, Taylor's family decides to go to the summer house in the Poconos that they used to visit every summer but stopped doing for the past few years. However, Taylor has no desire to go back because last time she was there, as a twelve-year-old, started out great, with her acquiring her first boyfriend in Henry Crosby, but end badly, leaving her without Henry or her former best friend Lucy. So going back is the last thing she wants to do, but she has to, and in so doing, she has to learn to stop running away from her problems. Instead, she learns to deal with her broken friendships and face the inevitability of her father's death.

Well-written and touching, this is an easy recommendation for fans of realistic teen literature. Taylor's learning to face her fears is something that will resonate with teens and adults alike. Her feelings are realistic and while readers might find themselves slightly frustrated with her for not dealing with things a little faster, they'll also empathize with how true-to-life her growth process is.
On a side note, the flashbacks to reveal the story of what happened in that summer five years before slightly irked me; I'm not sure why, but for some reason, that style has been irritating me lately, perhaps because I don't see the need for it; what happened with Taylor, Lucy, and Henry is pretty easy to guess, and it's not like it's some huge mystery, so the flashbacks seemed a little overly dramatic. But really, that could just be me thinking that particular technique is overused in general; the book is really enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Chance Summer.