Beverly's Reviews > Let's Write a Short Story

Let's Write a Short Story by Joseph Harold Bunting

Aug 20, 2012

bookshelves: writing-books
Read in August, 2012

Joe Bunting’s Let’s Write a Short Story is the book I wish I’d had in the early 2000s when I first committed to a writing life. Over a decade into that life, I am glad to have Bunting’s encouraging and informative book now.

Bunting’s premise is founded on the structure of many MFA in creative writing programs: practice the short form, and the long form will follow. He invites readers to write and submit short stories on a regular basis. In fact, he uses an excellent Ray Bradbury quote as the book’s epigraph: “Write a short story every week. It’s not possible to write 52 bad short stories in a row.”

For novice short story writers, Bunting includes effective strategies for drafting and editing. His advice provides the more seasoned writer with reminders and new ideas for approaching the familiar form. Throughout the book, Bunting includes writing prompts that I can’t wait to try.

Practical information such as formatting a story for submission is balanced with gentle (but firm) encouragement to write through block and to keep submitting. Perhaps one of the most useful sections of the book for writers at any stage is Bunting’s list of journals and links to submission requirements.

If you’ve been considering writing short stories or if you’re a short story writer in need of a little extra encouragement, invest in this book. It is an excellent edition to any writer’s library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Write a Short Story.