Annette's Reviews > Bones Are Forever

Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs

Aug 20, 12

While I enjoyed Bones are Forever, it wasn't my favorite Tempe Brennan novel for one simple reason. The lack of forensic scenes.

My favorite thing about the Bones series is Tempe's character, and it shines in Bones are Forever. The banter between Tempe and Ryan was as entertaining as ever. Tempe's intelligence, diligence, and bravery (or is it stupidity?) is once again apparent.

This personality is why I like the books so much better than the Bones TV series. Tempe has a totally different personality in the TV series, which is enjoyable, but nothing like the Tempe in the books.

The plot in Bones are Forever is full of surprises too. We start with the discovery of three dead newborns, wrapped in towels hidden in the apartments of a woman called Amy Roberts. The investigation takes Tempe and Ryan to Canada and appears to involve diamond mining. You just never know where things are going to end up when Reichs is spinning a tale.

The only complaint I have is that Tempe didn't do enough forensic investigating in this one. She does a lot of detective work, and puts herself in life-threatening danger, as usual, but she isn't examining bones in the lab or dead bodies on the scene nearly enough. I enjoy all of that scientific stuff more than the ability to learn about diamond mining. While the latter is interesting, it's the former that sets the Bones books apart.

While there is some back story involving the characters that you will miss out on, it isn't necessary to read the series in order. I would recommend these books to anyone who likes a good "who done it." Kathy Reichs does have a following among the teens in my library, especially if they read her YA novels, Virals and Seizure, and then want more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bones Are Forever.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth From what it says above this book wont even be published until 8/23. How did you manage to read it already?

Annette Ruth wrote: "From what it says above this book wont even be published until 8/23. How did you manage to read it already?"

I got an eARC through Edelweiss. http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/

Annette Jeremy wrote: "is the the final book."

Not that I know of.