Chris's Reviews > Bad Habits: A Love Story

Bad Habits by Cristy C. Road

Dec 08, 08

Read in December, 2008

Cristy is awesome. I know her from the zine world. She is a great writer and an amazing and very prolific illustrator. I proudly published some of her artwork in my zine, Slug & Lettuce over the years but I'm even happier to see that her work has continued to be printed everywhere (it seems). So this is her novel and it's illustrated, though I don't think it would be considered a graphic novel because it is a full narrative of text -- just enhanced w/ her rad drawings. Living in New York City as a freelance writer and full time partier I found it hard to draw a line and distinguish how much of this was autobiographical. And in fact all the heavy drug use made me sad for the potential that it was autobiographical, though of course she pushes through in the end. Reading this strongly brought back life in New York for me. Even though I lived on the Lower East Side over a decade ago, and she lives in Brooklyn in the present and as with any generational thing it is a much different time and place. And yet there is much about life in New York as a young budding artist that is just what it is -- exciting and I could feel it. An exploration of boys and girls and (bi) sexuality, drugs, mania, love and finding yourself in the middle of a personal revolution. Yeah, I could go on and on. I loved it. Cristy is rad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Habits.