Chrome's Reviews > Raphael

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: vampire
Read from August 20 to 21, 2012

Raphael.

First of all, the cover is so fugly that I'm pretty sure many people might dismiss the book instantly, which is too bad since it's a great read. Ok, I would never have picked it up after one glance at the cover, but the reviews had me intrigued.

This book is quite a breath of fresh air. An investigation/paranormal romance themed story with memorable, likable characters. It doesn't emphasis as much on the nature of vampires (blood, gore and the likes) as I'd hoped it would, but still a nice, darkish vamp series.

Raphael. Admittedly, from all the reviews, I'd expected Raphael to be a cold dangerous vampire lord that's as far from humanity as you can get. But that's not the case here. Though Raphael is not the pussy-whipped hero that is the majority of most PNR, he is not a vamp lord that would chill my bones either. He has light human moments, and he's soft when it comes to Cynthia. I think it's unfortunate his name is Raphael, because there has only been one character that truly makes me believe he is deadly, and his name happens to also be Raphael (Angels' Blood). Since both are described as dangerous, and both rule over certain areas in America, I can't help but think of the other Raphael when I read this book. As it so happens, Raphael the arcangel just makes Raphael the vampire lord pale in comparison when it comes to being lethal.

Cynthia. I like her. A rare species of confident, rational heroine who can take care of herself and hold her own against the hero.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raphael.