Ellen 's Reviews > The Weight Of Night

The Weight Of Night by C.L. Stegall

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: blog-tours, e-book

This was a very interesting book. I wasn't sure what to expect when I read the synopsis, but it sounded intriguing, so I wanted to read the book. I am happy to say I was very pleasantly surprised by this novel. The story centers around Alexis and her best friend Keats. Alexis is 18 years old and she and Keats are about to graduate from high school. They have been best friends since they were 6 years old. Alexis has always known she was different. For example, she is super smart and seems to know the answer to every question asked, she only sleeps two hours a night, and she has this thing about being outside and staring in the night, at the stars. Keats is also on the genius level himself, and has a great sense of humor. He has been her rock, the one who keeps her grounded and out of trouble, taking up for her, protecting her, her only friend.

When Alexis' mother is killed in a car accident shortly before they graduate, things seem to be set into motion that change her destiny forever. As Keats begin to investigate his theories regarding Alexis and her abilities they begin to uncover more than they bargained for. Alexis confronts her father regarding a memory and finds that he knows a lot more than he let on, and that her whole life is not what it seems. As she and Keats investigate further, they are lead into the world of Greek mythology, with Gods, demigods, the progeny. Alexis is determined to find the killer who destroyed her family, but a evil God is determined to find her and use her abilities for his own purposes, and uses the one she loves the most to try to manipulate her into doing is bidding. Will she be able to stand up to this evil God and save the one she loves before it is to late?

Alexis is one kick butt heroine, and Keats isn't too bad at holding his own in that arena either. She makes some bad choices, but she is honest, devoted, loyal, and determined. I enjoyed the relationship between Alexis and Keats. They were best friends, knew each other about as well as they knew themselves, and were completely devoted to one another. There isn't a whole lot of romance in the book, but Alexis finally realizes how she feels about Keats, and Keats finally determines that he is going to tell Alexis how he feels about her. After the history is laid in the first couple of chapters, there is pretty much nonstop action. This book is definitely fast-paced and really keeps your interest. I really enjoyed Segall's take on mythology, and the Weight of Night is filled with it. If you enjoy fantasy and mythology, then The Weight of Night is one book you won't want to miss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weight Of Night.