David's Reviews > Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami

Aug 20, 12

Read in August, 2012

Presented with extreme depths, admirable clarity, witty thoughts and equal amount of loss, entertainment, and romance, Blind Willow Sleeping Woman is a collection of twenty four short stories by Haruki Murakami that will surely tug at every reader’s heartstring. Here is where Murakami showcased his talent of coming up with such stories that can have many elements on it. Though at times bizarre and some of the thoughts coming from the characters for each and every story may occasionally strike as absurd or mundane, the presentation of every plot with such authenticity and powerful perspective in it, is still one of the reasons why this book is a sure win for me.

From an unusual self reflection in the mirror, romantic exile in Greece, marrying a woman with an extreme obsession for clothes to seeing a friend drown, living with an Iceman in the cold place that is South Pole, losing a son in a foreign land, a couple with complete differences and the presentation of sexuality, loss, solitude, coincidence, fate and the grip of day to day life. These are what composed of Murakami’s wonderful tales that is surely as mesmerizing and brilliant as a sun waiting for the motion to rise. My favorites are Man-Eating Cats, The Seventh Man, Tony Takitani, The Iceman, Chance Traveler, Hanalei Bay and The kidney shaped stone that moves every day.

This is my fourth book by Murakami and I must say the more I read his work, the more impressed I am to him. And it is not very often that I come across short stories that eventually hold a special place in my heart. Needless to say, Blind Willow Sleeping Woman is a work with great simplicity through great spectacular shine. Next book : What I talk about when I talk about running
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman.

Quotes David Liked

Haruki Murakami
“I don't think jealousy has much of a connection with real, objective conditions. Like if you're fortunate you're not jealous, but if life hasn't blessed you, you are jealous. Jealousy doesn't work that way. It's more like a tumor secretly growing inside us that gets bigger and bigger, beyond all reason. Even if you find out it's there, there's nothing you can do to stop it.”
Haruki Murakami, Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman: 24 Stories

Haruki Murakami
“Time, of course, topples everyone in its path equally- the way that driver beats his old horse until it dies. But the thrashing we receive is one of frightful gentleness. Few of us even realize that we are being beaten.”

Haruki Murakami
“There's a lot going on I don't have a clue about, I wrote; I'll try my damnedest to figure it all out, but you've got to undertsand these things take time. I have no idea where I'm headed—all I know for sure is I don't want to get hung up thinking too deeply about things. The world's too precarious a place for that. Start me mulling over ideas and I'll en up forcing people to do things they hate. I couldn't stand that.”

Haruki Murakami
“A poet might die at twenty-one, a revolutionary or a rock star at twenty four. But after that you assume everything’s going to be all right. you’ve made it past Dead Man’s Curve and you’re out of the tunnel, cruising straight for your destination down a six lane highway whether you want it or not.”
tags: death