Chris Bauer's Reviews > Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

Aug 21, 12

Read from August 20 to 21, 2012

I found "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" by Cory Doctorow to be a very entertaining, thought provoking and fast read.

The primary storyline takes place in a future setting wherein humanity has essentially conquered death, disease, pestilence and a variety of other bad things. Force grown clones, memory backups, hyper-tech and body modifications have become the norm. Our prestige is measured in a universal current called Wuffie which tracks and measures our every interaction. Through the primary protag of the story we're challenged to consider what is "living" vs. existing and why. If immortality is available to everybody, what are the bounds of the human state.

The story zipped along at a very brisk pace and I finished it in a day or two but was profoundly impressed by the writing. No lengthy backstory, spontaneous exposition of hyper tech or any other common pitfalls. The narrative simply glides along like a skater on ice.

Courage, revenge, friendship and ultimately redemption all play strong parts in the story. I very much enjoyed reading the work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.