Shelly 's Reviews > A People's History of American Empire

A People's History of American Empire by Howard Zinn

Dec 08, 08

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in November, 2008

This book read like a set of notecards you make yourself so you can cram for a big exam. It's interesting, and if you knew nothing before going into it then you come away with enough to make yourself look somewhat informed on issues like Pearl Harbor and Watergate (if they come up over cocktails, for example). But it left me wanting more on some subjects, and so for that I think I'd have been better off reading a book that focuses more on one period, or war, or historical event etc. But that's my fault. I knew what it was about before I bought it. I just didn't expect to feel like I'd cheated when I was done.

I like Zinn's P.O.V. And his personal experience added a lot to his retelling of some of these events, but he definitely leans to the left. Could be a turn off if your looking for a more neutral/non-biased account.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A People's History of American Empire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meen (new) - added it

Meen I don't mind his left-leaning. I think the whole point of making a "people's history," is that the leftish tends to get left out in what most of us get in school. You could try the straight People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present. It's more comprehensive.

Shelly Yeah. You can't really read that book w/o knowing where the info. comes from. But, thanks.