Alex's Reviews > Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

Aug 20, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from August 21 to 22, 2012

Howl's Moving Castle is an insidious book, one that sneaks its way into your heart without you realising it until it's entirely too late. Wynne Jones crafted an immensely readable book crammed with plot but not a lot of story that piles on top of itself for an intensely crowded ending. The secret lies in the way that Wynne Jones is able to take age into consideration for Sophie's development as a person. Despite her lack of accrued experience, becoming seventy years older makes her see things differently and, while it doesn't exactly fix her self esteem, it makes her much more sympathetic.

As most of the novel takes place within the walls of the castle, with Sophie witnessing Howl coming and going, and hanging out with Calcifer, it might seem like not a lot happens. The ending could potentially be overwhelming as a result, seeing as everything gets resolved in a mad rush, but this is actually one of the sweetest youth fantasies you could ask for. By the end I realised that I had fallen in love myself, and there's not really a higher recommendation than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howl's Moving Castle.

Kris Jou It's better than the movie, don't you think? I like the moral ambiguity in the novel that was absent in the film.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I loved Howl's Moving Castle!. Fantastic book.