Sarah's Reviews > Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson

Aug 22, 12

Read from August 20 to 22, 2012

I think this book was given to me as a young single girl as some kind of inspiration. I read it out of respect for the person who gave it to me, but it is anything but. It implies (and falls just short of outright stating) that there is something wrong with a girl who is happy simply to have a career, that you must somehow be empty or less than whole if you do not have a family. It is full of the mushy goo that I hide from on a regular basis, both with regards to her husband and to her child. I understand that having a family is precious, but it is not the only thing in this world. There can be love without family. I hate the perspective that it seems all mothers (or at least all mothers I know) get as soon as they have a child that everything that they previously did in their lives was insignificant. I hate the infatuation with the child. And I'm sure this is going to be seen as "I just don't get it" by everyone who has children, but your child is no more or less miraculous than anyone else's. In fact, it's the issue that somehow children who belong to us can do no wrong that has led to entitlement in the youngest of American generations. This book is sappy and gooey and I will re-read this review if I ever find myself thinking that I am somehow a less complete version of myself simply because I have no one to share my everything with. A relationship should be that, shared. You shouldn't lose yourself in someone else. They should help you become the best version of yourself you can possibly be, they should be a partner, an equal, not a fix for everything perceived as missing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas.