Julia's Reviews > Storm Front

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, based-on-folksong-myth, vampires-weres-witches
Recommended for: people who need something to read
Read in January, 2010, read count: 2x

Reread for a third time on 1/10/10 for a urban fantasy botm group here on goodreads. Since this is my third time reading this delightful first novel in the Dresden Files series, you know it's one I like. Harry has got the big bad evil against him, his friend and sometimes employer Murphy suspects him and Morgan of the White Council is sure that Harry’s responsible for the evil. Harry at this point is unsure of himself and regularly does things without adequate or any protection.

“I understood the pressure (Murphy) was under, her frustration, her anger, and her determination to stop the killing from happening again. If I was some kind of hero from a romance novel, I’d say something brief and eloquent and heartrending. But I’m just me, so I said, ‘I do understand, Karrin.’” (page 205)

Review from 4/23/07: I thought I’d re-read the first Dresden book, because I’ve been enjoying the tv show very, very loosely based on it, because I recommended it to Phil (my husband) who didn’t care for it, didn’t find it funny (he’s wrong) and because I’m waiting to get a chance to read two Jim Butcher books in hardback: the most recent Harry Dresden book and the most recent Cursor’s Fury.

Review from 3/31/04. Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is the only wizard in the Chicago, or any other phone book. Also a P.I, he’s been asked by the police’s new supernatural division to investigate the murders of two people whose hearts were removed by woo-woo means. And he’s been hired to locate a woman’s missing husband, the Wizard’s Council is watching him very closely and there’s a new drug on the street: it allows people to have The Sight, which drives them crazy. People say these novels are like Anita Blake, but I think Dresden’s more similar to Jack Fielding, PN Elrod’s Prohibition-era vampire/ PI in Chicago.

“Wizardry is all about thinking ahead, about being prepared…Hell, the word wizard comes from the same root as wise. We know things. We aren’t any stronger or faster than anyone else. We don’t even have all that much going in the mental department. But we’re god-awful sneaky, and if we get the chance to get set for something, we can do some impressive things.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Front.

Quotes Julia Liked

Jim Butcher
“Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.”
Jim Butcher, Storm Front

Jim Butcher
“Harry," Bob drawled, his eye lights flickering smugly, "what you know about women, I could juggle.”
Jim Butcher, Storm Front