Kristen's Reviews > Whispers in Autumn

Whispers in Autumn by Trisha Leigh

Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: aliens, dystopian, romance, scifi, ya
Read in August, 2012

GENRE: YA Science Fiction
THEME: Aliens
RECEIVED: Review for Tour
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
I’ve been trying to get back in reading more science fiction lately and was excited to be apart of the tour for Whispers in Autumn, it has a dystopian type world that has been taken over by an alien race. The writing kept me hooked and the world and alien life was really well thought out, even though I couldn’t connect to the lead character as much as I would of liked, I really enjoyed this story.

Whispers in Autumn follows Althea, she is different from everyone around her, only with little knowledge that she is called a Dissident. Earth has been taken by an alien race and humans are controlled by them and don’t even know it. Althea has to go through each day knowing she is the only one who knows about what’s really going on, until she finally meets someone who is like her. Together they find out the truth about who they are and work together to keep each other safe.

Althea is a strong and lonely character; all her life has been repetitive. Jumping to each season into lives she pretends to be apart of and parents who aren’t really her own. I felt sorry for her, the whole first half of the book, she was so lonely and I was really looking forward to her meeting someone that connected to her. It was almost creepy how the other humans reacted to her, confused and not knowing why they stayed away from her in away. Leigh did a fantastic job creating the world that Althea lived in and how brave this character was living out each day and really not understands who she is.

Lucas is like Althea and really stole the show in the book. The two have some major chemistry and I liked that there was no insta-love, it was more like they thought “finally someone like me.” He protected Althea like crazy and was determined to find answers about who they are and what happened to their parents.

Now for the world Leigh created it was clever and very enjoyable. While everyone is under the mind control, the world is controlled by the Others, while their leaders are known as the Elements (Earth, Air, Fire, Water). It took me a while to figure out all the names and what was really going on. I only wished I was giving a little bit more insight before getting put right in the middle of Althea’s world, just so it didn’t take me so long to figure it all out.

Overall I enjoyed Whispers in Autumn, the ending was fantastic and the secrets that are unfolded near the end got me super excited for the next book. The past of the lead characters really will surprise the readers; this is a science fiction series that will defiantly get you thinking.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult science fiction novel that is a perfect read for all teens and adults. Fans of Jennifer Armentrouts Lux’s series and Cat Patricks novel Revived will love Trisha Leigh’s Whispers in Autumn.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorcements and Testimonials in Advertising*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers in Autumn.