Suzie Palmer's Reviews > Autobiography of a Yogi

Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda

Aug 19, 12

Read in December, 1999

More just a book 'Autobiography of a Yogi' transformed my heart and mind like an indelible spiritual experience... it certainly expanded my view of life forever!
Here's what i wrote in my autobiography:

'My mind wondrously expanded during the process of reading Paramahansa Yogananda’s Autobiography of a Yogi. The life experiences of this profound being, together with so many other profound saintly beings, fulfilled a previously unquenchable yearning in my heart.

From here, I felt vipassana meditation had been for the higher purpose of purifying my mind in preparation to receive such divine truths. I embraced this book as a gift from God! For here was a great Hindu yogi’s self-written account about his colourful life and associations with many of India’s God-realised masters. Always destined to become a yogi, Yogananda shares the miracles he experienced in his life as well as some of the sacred teachings he obtained on his road of awakening. Reading this was a dream come true for me. I absorbed Yogananda’s every line of his life story, adoring his writing style, magnificent expression, and grace… the treasure of his heart and soul! Yogananda was the first yogi ever to share the divinity of his experiences in such a way. And, through his sharing, my faith in God grew boundlessly stronger and my belief in healing my physical challenge became unquestionable!

Because of Yogananda, I felt a sense of God intoxication for the first time. He presented God as most loving, sacred, and precious. Fear of God was not exhibited in the old Western way; instead, Hindu’s teach to guide one’s life in awe of our Maker — in love with… For the first time, my idea of God rocketed. He even interpreted Christianity beautifully — the Bible is completely different when explained with esoteric yet lucid, supernal wisdom, insight, and light — the reason why I sought to study it here in Oz.'

More than highly-recommended, this book is a must read if spiritually inclined...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autobiography of a Yogi.