Andrew's Reviews > Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2012

As a recent transplant to Seattle, I decided to download the book and read it after reading a couple of favorable notices for it. It didn't disappoint - it was a fast read, which made me feel less guilty for picking it up while I had a half-dozen other things I needed to attend to, and I managed to polish it off in two sittings. I thought it was funny, observant, and true, with many witty if biting observations about Seattle that made me laugh in recognition. I had some quibbles - not so much for the rather fantastic and pat ending but for the somewhat sudden and inexplicable change of heart experienced by one of the 'gnats,' what Bernadette calls the other mothers whose children attends the school she sends her daughter, Bee. But this book reminded me of the pleasures of a good comedy populated by wounded but not-yet fully broken spirits, akin to the sort of characters that used to pop up in Stephen McCauley's novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where'd You Go, Bernadette.