Vineet amin's Reviews > God's Debris: A Thought Experiment

God's Debris by Scott Adams

M 50x66
Aug 19, 2012

magine a package lying in your house that you’re expected to personally deliver. The address is mentioned and based on your references of the past you use that address on the package to deliver it. But did you deliver it or did the package deliver you? Think about it….If there wasn’t any address mentioned would you deliver it? Strange right? How an unassuming piece of material that is not living can actually influence our actions so much and we actually end up believing that it’s us who made the choice of delivering it when it’s the package that decided where we would deliver it.

Okay the above logic can be contested in several ways – But that’s the objective of the book – To force you to shun your previous conventional/traditional assumptions about everything else, be it religion, God, Morality, convenience of reason and even science, essential for you to absorb a different perspective about conventional perceptions. If you do succeed in being “Society Neutral” and ever had monologue about existence of matter, life, space, how big this universe is, why people fight etc. – This book is a stimulant! An intellectual one at that – Written by Scott Adams - Yeah yeah that same guy of Dilbert wala comics Fame!

About the Book – (I will use an excerpt from it to state its intention) - The target audience for God’s Debris is people who enjoy having their brains spun around inside their skulls. The story’s central character has a view about God that you’ve probably never heard before. If you think you would be offended by a fictional character’s untraditional view of God, please don’t read this.

My Disclaimer – If you love to be in your cocoon thinking that Society and it’s traditional views about morality, existence, science and religion should not be challenged then this book isn’t advised.

The book/theme/idea is presented in the form of a conversation between a Package delivery guy and a an Old Man who pesters him to several questions about our lives, about our illusion of free will or whether free will does exist if God predicted things for us, on love and emotions, on people and their blind faith in certain values including certain well known concepts of science.

Oh this book isn’t meant for Atheists – After all they are subject to the same disillusionment and convenience of reason as any theist is. This book is meant for people who would like to be just challenged in their thoughts through various metaphors and analogies, logically deduced to present a point of view

And it’s just not about God – But the Human’s mind’s ability to reason everything as a result of convenience. Be it morality, values, the whole “who’s right and who’s wrong” debate, about us conveniently being trapped in our disillusionment lest challenging the very basis of several beliefs even in science, make us feel uncomfortable. The book does not challenge the morality of the result of a particular thought but the logical parallel’s that exist between the source of each action i.e. your thought, implying that there is no wrong or right!

We all know that Matter exits – Right? Do we know why should they exist? Do we know why should light travel at a certain speed? But we have given names and convenient reasons to explain matter’s existence. Or does matter exist in the first place? (Read !@#$%^&A* DP to know more) – Which is also what the book contests. Get the Drift? - That’s what the book is about.

The reason for our existence – Well’s it just Dust/particles that over a period of time as a result of probability have just evolved/formed. – Oh the book says so – Not me!

It’s a fascinating journey that talks about various aspects that surround us – Our ability to reason values, morality, our illusions and faith in disillusionment about various thoughts and convictions is what this book challenges.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Debris.