Jennifer Archer's Reviews > Before and After

Before and After by Rosellen Brown

Aug 19, 2012

bookshelves: to-read, adult, adult-literary, adult-thrillers
Read from August 19 to 22, 2012

If I could give this 4 1/2 stars, I would. I was totally hooked into this story and loved it, until the final, wrap-up chapters. The resolution to all the built-up intrigue was told mostly from the perspective of the teen daughter and after the fact. So she was looking back and telling how it all worked out. It sort of felt as if the author was hurrying to finish the book because it was already long. So some of the elements I most wanted to see play out, were revealed in a lackluster way. I also felt that for such a serious situation, her tone and the ending tone of the Mom and Dad was too . . . I don't know...almost flippant, as if their brother/son had been tried for shoplifting a candy bar rather than for murder. And one very important and chilling thread seemed to have been dropped. Still, other than the way the ending was carried out, the entire premise was so intriguing and the writing was so well done and the characterization so on target that I forgive the author for the ending and still recommend this book, especially if you like Jodi Picoult's novel. This one very much reminded me of her work, with somewhat more literary prose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before and After.