Amy's Reviews > Contagious

Contagious by Emily Goodwin

Sep 28, 12

bookshelves: zombies, horror, apocalypse
Read from August 19 to 23, 2012

I haven't read any Zombie books before. Zombie tales in my eyes have always been harsh and never really easy on the eyes. Something about Contagious was appealing to me. It could be the lead hero is a female. Maybe by having a female lead the story would be softer. Reading the book I was captivated from the beginning. It was intense from beginning to end. This story is extremely graphic in the violence, but that is expected with the story and genre. I did find that I had to walk away a few times though.

The author's writing is very telling. She creates a world that you could almost picture as being real. The fact that she doesn't give a year and she uses a few current events makes it scarey. The story is one that is easy to follow. She doesn't have a bunch of sci-fi terms in the book. It is basically normal people running from Zombies. I appreciate that because it means I don't need a glossary or terms for the book.You are brought into this story from the beginning and you feel for each and every character that has to fight to survive along the way. Even though you know that this is not a sugar coated, candy kisses book the author writes it where you can not help but get attached to characters.

I loved Orissa. She is kick ass. I liked the fact that she stands out from the guys and shows them how to really kick some Zombie butt.She has a few Katniss moments with her Bow and Arrows. She does have a softer side which we do get to see a few times. She tries to show this tough exterior but we all know that deep down she is just human.

I have to say that I loved this book. I was dark but it was well written and entertaining. Am I converted into a Zombie book reader? I won't ignore them from now on. If this is any indication as to what books are out there like this one I can see why they are so popular now. I think I will pick up a book from the genre periodically. I recommend this book. Due to the graphic nature it is recommended for ages 18+.

I received this book courtesy of the author in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Contagious.