Anne Osterlund's Reviews > I am Rembrandt's Daughter

I am Rembrandt's Daughter by Lynn Cullen

Aug 22, 12

Cornelia is the bastard daughter of a reputed madman, the famous Rembrandt—a once wealthy painter brought low. When her brother marries into wealth—and she captures the smile of a young man named Carel—she begins to dream that maybe life will improve.

A dream quickly squelched by her father’s careless attitude toward tradition, his failure to bow to the demands of Amsterdam society, and his complete disdain . . . for her. A disdain Cornelia cannot understand.

But then the boy, Carel, returns to her doorstep. And as her father’s anger grows, secrets begin to unravel. Because—like paintings—secrets have a way of surviving. Even in an era when death is as constant as the ringing of plague bells at Westerkerk church.

An excellent piece of YA historical fiction! Far more than just an imagined tale about a great painter, I Am Rembrandt’s Daughter is an earnest exploration of family, the power of love, and the meaning of true art.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Rembrandt's Daughter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sahana (new)

Sahana its a good book

RavenWings393 I remeber reading this book in high school. It is a book that will throw you for a loop

message 3: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Courtright I have wanted to read this for a while. Glad it got high ratings from you.

Anne Osterlund Hi Kelly, RavenWings, & Hannah,

Yes, I've been meaning to read this forever. I also actually ordered it via interlibrary loan last spring, and somehow it was sent back before I had the chance to pick it up. I'm VERY glad I finally had the chance to read it, though! If I had realized how good it would be, I would have purchased a copy long ago:)

Anne
(who is cooling off by watching a cheesy--yet wonderful--Christmas movie)

message 5: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Courtright Sounds like a good recommendation, Anne. Shall check it out soon.