Donna's Reviews > The Final Confession Of Mabel Stark

The Final Confession Of Mabel Stark by Robert Hough

Oct 09, 10

bookshelves: historical, romance, usa, circus, based-on-a-true-story, read-in-scotland
Recommended to Donna by: myself
Recommended for: fans of memoir-style fiction
Read in February, 2008, read count: 1

I found this a very interesting and refreshing read after Moll Flanders, especially as the protagonists of both were isolated women without families who share an affinity for men. WHat differs is the fact that Mabel finds herself a purpose to her life, which Moll fails to do.
Mabel's journey takes many twists and turns which in every example prove charming and all the moreso due to their true inspiration/basis. Mabel truly is a character I found likeable as well as quirky and full of life - exactly the kind of woman that would have been inspirational in the 1920s antebellum.

QUOTATIONS I LIKED:
"Seems we don't have one mind but two, one we know about and one we don't, and the one we know about isn't necessarily the one in charge."

"Often I feel like I've got two angels following me around, one good and one bad, neither one of them gentle, and they were duking it out that day. Question is, was it the good angel decided I was going to live, or was it the bad one?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Confession Of Mabel Stark.